Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Austen or Bronte?


I just finished reading almost all of Jane Austen’s novels, and most recently Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and I got to thinking about which of the two iconic female writers I liked the best.

Jane Austen has a witty style of writing, and all of her stories managed to capture my imagination and pull me in. So far, my favorite is Persuasion. But I just loved Bronte’s passion, and portrayal of a genuine Christian standard of living. Jane Eyre touches on a number of important themes while telling a compelling story. There’s no doubt that love and passion together form the major theme. I couldn’t put it down, and during my ‘pregnancy insomnia,’ I found myself reading the last pages at 3am, with tears in my eyes over the beauty of the writing, and the ending, which was full of love and compassion.

So who is my favorite? I still don’t know! But I’ve enjoyed reading both, and now we’re moving on to Gulliver’s Travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment